Saturday, March 31, 2012

On 'Suffering'. It's not so bad.


More than a few of my friends and family who have been following my humble ramblings have commented on the misery and suffering that I have endured plowing through the cold and the rain. Not stated in the kindness of their words is the concealed fear that I am a wee bit nuts!

In response to their message of concern (and thank you for checking in on me, My Dear Ones!) I must say that I am happy beyond measure with my ‘suffering’. Both in the immediate short term astride my noble steed, and in my life story thus far. Not because it is particularly heroic to ‘suffer’ or that it is an expression of masochistic inclinations, but because it is, at least to some degree, healthy and invigorating. And frankly, it is the only way to grow. To paraphrase Viktor Frankl in his essential book “Man’s Search for Meaning”, ‘suffering is the price one pays for achieving those things which are worthwhile and meaningful in one’s life’.

And let’s face it—it is inevitable!

Aeschylus was a Greek playwright (never got an Oscar nomination, poor bugger) who made a career of writing recreational tragedies. He cited Zeus and others of his godly ilk with the message for we mortals that ‘wisdom comes only from suffering’.  It enlarges us. If one was to reduce that thought to the size of a fridge magnet it might say, “those things that don’t kill you, make you stronger”. 

In the end, it’s O.K. Although I will be the first to admit that it never really feels that way at the time. And, as another nameless wag once said, “I’d rather have problems in my life than nothing”.

For me, now, being alone and surviving in constantly changing and evolving environments causes me to rely on myself, to carry a trust and an optimism and confidence in my own capacity and, I suppose, the mercy of the gods.

What else is there?  In the absence of those elements of faith there is only hopelessness and one becomes stuck and stalled and unable to face the challenges that are otherwise purposeful and constructive if we can just convince ourselves to see it that way.

That said, this journey (the one on the motorcycle) is not for the purpose of suffering. I see no reason face peril or to act with recklessness just for the sake of it. (Evel Kneivel was nuts)! This is for personal fulfillment and achievement and growth and enlargement. And by its very nature, that always comes with an invoice. And that is just fine.

I believe that suffering is not a bad thing unless it is defeating. And the difference between defeating suffering and constructive suffering is acceptance and the meaning which one derives from it. A feeling of being victimized by circumstance comes entirely from one’s perception, not from the circumstance. My ultimate goal is to somehow move beyond simply knowing that, to be open to the lessons hard won, and appreciate the wonder of the seemingly mundane.

I saw a little slogan today, “You can’t wait for your ship to come in. You have to swim out to it.”