Friday, April 13, 2012

No bulls, but it looks like my coyote friends have been following me.
Come to think of it, there is a flock of buzzards that always seems to be overhead as well, and I find that disconcerting.

The Bruiser had a happy day on the twisties. I was dragging my earlobes around some very tight turns throughout the day. Feels good to be finding some sport in the ride when much of it through the southwestern flatlands is simply for the purpose of getting somewhere else.

Crossed into New Mexico, then promptly lost an hour to my day given the time change. Short miles today.
And I must complement New Mexico on its excellent maintenance of their dots.

Fewer cactus now, but lots of little waist high Joshua trees dotted through the grasslands.
A New Mexico oasis
Mural in downtown Silver City, New Mexico, painted in the local genre

Rather chilly today, in spite of the sunshine, due in part to the altitude, and in part to a cool system coming through. I’ll have to check the weather to see if I need to locate the raingear that I stowed away with the Datsun repair manual. We crossed the continental divide at Silver City at about 7000 ft. The locals just shrug off the mention of cool weather, and note that it is not unusual to snow here at around this time of year. Given the furnace they live in during the long summer I'm sure they find it not that unpleasant.

Jogged north on 15 from Silver City on a road that was such a roller coaster and zigzaggy that it felt like being in a Mixmaster. We went up and over two switchback ridges on the way to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. This was a wonderful place to park myself for a few hours, walking through a stonework settlement stuffed into a few big natural caves. Occupied for only 30 years during a drought in the area just before 1400 it is one of no fewer than 40 sites that have been located in this reserve, some dating back to 1500 years ago. These people are known as the Mogollon, but are closely related to all of the Pueblo people of this region.



Free camping is offered in many of the National Forests in New Mexico, so we set up in a little forest just a couple miles from the cliff dwelling.


On a stroll through the hills behind my camp I encountered another small dwelling that appears to be relatively complete yet unrestored.

Anticipating a very cold night tonight. I’ve emptied out my luggage and am wearing most of it.