Friday, April 20, 2012


The onshore wind collapsed my tent with me inside and I had to laugh aloud as I struggled to dress and assemble my gear while I was in it. I had no hope of lighting my propane burner, so had coffee at the bar and grill with the old gal that ran it. Nobody else was there, but being Friday, she was hopeful things would liven up a bit in the sleepy hollow of Matagorda by the time evening falls.

Hwy 521 to Freeport for groceries and a weather update from one of the customers who warned me of a big storm that was blowing through this evening with lots of rain. It should pass quickly, they say, but it is not the kind of stuff for tent campers such as I.

Still going east. Freeport had a Dow Chemical plant that was big and smelled funny. I held my breath as long as I could while passing through it, and thought of the people who lived and worked there but did not have the option.

And then there are the refineries. Port Arthur notable among them. What an enormous facility! The inland channels were chock a block with oil tankers waiting to unload their crude, and of course the entire continent waits at the fuel pumps to load the refined product. Gas here is less than $1 per litre.
Traffic on the Intracoastal waterways

But I am ahead of myself. I followed the coast along the sandbar islands including Galveston Island. It is attached by a bridge to Houston but I reached it from a bridge attached to another sandbar island to the west.
Endless beaches at Galveston

Galveston. Go ahead—don’t sing that song to yourself. I dare you!
Glen Campbell’s dulcet refrains of that famous song rolled around in my mind until I wished I could floss my brain. Indeed there were sea waves crashing, sea winds blowin’, sea birds flyin’ and all the rest of it, but if he was talking about ‘hills where we used to run’, well I’ll tell you what (say the good ol’ boys) —the elevation is about two feet above sea level. Get real, Glen.

Sandbar islands that define the shoreline

For that reason, and in consideration of the big storms that punish these shores at regular intervals, all of the houses along this coast are built on stilts. At Galveston the houses are perched especially high off the ground. In 1900 “The Big Storm” as it is affectionately known here, devastated the place forcing a complete rebuild in the aftermath. All along the coast there is evidence of past storms that have ripped off roofs, siding, toppled structures, thrown cars in marshes, etc. and they have been abandoned rather than restored. Hurricane Ike of 2008 the most recent and second only to Katrina in damage caused, was a category 2 when it reached Galveston.


And then The Bruiser carried us over the border to Louisiana! 

Not a Stetson or a set of horns on the grill of a pickup anywhere in sight.  Where the ground in Texas is dry and dusty, in Louisiana it is all swampland. It’s The Bayou, dontcha know.
The bayou! Looks a lot like a swamp.

If you were born on the bayou, you might have been spawned here.

The first two meals of the day somehow got missed and I was started to fade late in the afternoon, so I stopped at a little food joint at the roadside at Creole and ordered me up an oyster burger, even although fresh crawdads were available, this being Friday and all.

I caught a ferry from Galveston to Bolivar Peninsula, and then another short one across the river to Cameron, LA. Lots of camping opportunities on the long expanse of beach, but that threatening storm that I keep seeing over my left shoulder kept me moving. When I reached Lake Charles I started investigating motel rooms. Parked outside the Comfort Inn where the heartless management demanded an outrageous sum from a poor retired teacher on fixed income—the sky suddenly split open. Curtains of rain fell with sensational forked lightning for added drama. It didn’t actually pass, but when it finally let up a bit I fished out my raingear and headed off down the freeway (in the wrong direction) in search of a more reasonable hotel I had located on my ipod. When I finally sorted it out and made a few of my vintage U-turns (my family will understand) I arrived at a great little motel where I was invited to park The Bruiser under the awning outside my door. Civilized people, these.

After almost 5500 miles I reckoned it was time to do some laundry. I washed my favourite brown shirt in the sink only to find that I don’t actually own a brown shirt.

Wifi and lots of time to surf afforded me the chance to book ahead for New Orleans for Sunday night. I’ll have to find something to do tomorrow (Saturday) since the city is fully booked on the prime days of the weekend.

2012 is election year in the U.S. and every office is up for grabs, from senator seats to sheriff, from school superintendents to judges, and there are campaign signs everywhere. Without knowing anything about anybody, I do have a hunch that some names will suffer a paucity of X’s owing to their unfortunate names. Schlitzlinger, Gay, “Skippy” Jones, Cheatem, and Dullard are finished before they start. Don Cherry will probably do OK, but Steve Harper… I don’t know.