Monday, April 23, 2012


Off to New Orleans today!

I intended to take a more scenic and circuitous route, but ended up on a main thoroughfare that took me to a bridge across Lake Ponchartrain, a large and shallow lake that marks the north edge of the city. I didn’t know they could make a bridge that long! This monster is almost 24 miles long and is the longest continuous bridge over water in the world! That’s a day’s travel by stagecoach. I wanted to stop half way along and have lunch.  The thing is colossal!
The thing is so long that when I entered it I thought we were heading out to sea.

And it spit me right into the city of New Orleans. We managed to navigate our way to the famous French Quarter and check into the New Orleans Courtyard Hotel, just four blocks up from Bourbon St. But not until The Bruiser had a chance to pose on Bourbon St before getting the rest of the day off.
The Bruiser on Bourbon Street

I spent a couple of hours walking the streets and soaking up the ambiance of this most wonderful place. The residences are all stuck together like pieces of a puzzle and have the most wonderful architecture that shows both Spanish and French influence. Some of the buildings date back to the 1700’s. Most of them are alive and well. They have been ‘repurposed’ many times over the past couple of centuries, and I suppose the founders are spinning like lathes in their graves to know what these old structures are used for now!

Bourbon St is an endless street party. Bars, shops, restaurants and more bars. Drinking on the street is legal, and one can saunter up to the window at a sidewalk storefront, order a "Big Ass Beer", and carry on your way.
When a Big Ass beer just ain't big enough

Musicians were set up on sidewalks, alleyways and even in the middle of the streets.


I came back to the hotel for a nap and a snack, then ventured out again. As darkness fell the neon took over and the street was closed to traffic. Partygoers and curious onlookers alike filled the streets, most with a drink of some kind in their hands. Most bars had live music, but I had to look hard to find real jazz or blues.Oh, but I did!  There was everything from 80’s schmultz to cowboy music to hip hop. (That would really make the pioneers spin!) It just seemed wrong to me! But the blues was very satisfying and I filled my ears with it.
Some of the locals posing with the biker from Vancouver

On the occasion of my granddaughter’s arrival last year, a dear old buddy presented me with a splendid Cuban cigar. I carried it with me on this trip and lit that baby up to mark my arrival at New Orleans and the turnaround point for my journey. Had a Big Ass beer as a chaser. Sublime!

Thanks, Spide!

Cheers!