Sunday, April 29, 2012


Opportunities like this come by so seldom that they ought not to be missed. We felt compelled to go to Magnum for the Rattlesnake Festival.

And indeed there were rattlesnakes

And things made out of rattlesnakes

And fleamarkets AND… I’ll be damned!
Corn dogs!!!!

Zigzagging west through Oklahoma we tried to find the most scenic roads. Alas, there were few hills and valleys, and the roads were rather straight, but the soil was blood red and the greenery is just so, well, green, that it was a treat for the eyes.
I don’t know what it is about this Red-Green colour combination that makes me think about duct tape.

Oklahoma was a lovely state and I regret that only 24 hours was spent on its lovely soil, but as we follow that western sun in the vague direction of home what should we encounter yet again but…




TEXAS!!

Texas has tendrils like an amoeba, and one of its pseudopods—refered to as The Panhandle—sticks up between Oklahoma and New Mexico. So we’re back.


Some interesting little towns appeared along the way. There must have been a real deal on red bricks at the turn of the century because the roads in several of these towns are paved with gazillions of them.
The Red Square, Texas style. Just in case there is a civil uprising and they need a place to gather for a barbeque.
Memphis? A couple of surprises here. I always thought it was in Tennessee. And really, I did expect something bigger.

Then there is the town of Turkey. Rather than putting people off with a silly name like Turkey, they flock to it. This weekend, as luck would have it, Turkey was celebrating the legacy of one of its sons, Bob Wills. Some of you may be scratching your heads about that, but here that is a famous name. Why, you will see at the bottom of the “Welcome to Turkey, Texas” sign a footnote that adds, “Home of Bob Wills”. I have a three piece rattlesnake leather Sunday goin’ to meetin’ suit for the first one who can tell me who Bob Wills is. No Googling allowed!

My driving destination for the afternoon was up the east side of Caprock Canyon. But like a doofus, I missed the turnoff at Silverton and blew by it by 20 miles before I realized. Now, I will tell you that one of the finer things about traveling alone is that you can make a stupid mistake like that, whack yourself upside the head for being so thick, and then never hear about it again.

Just shy of Amarillo Texas is a state park called Palo Duro that I set as my nightspot. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the place was over run with Secret Service agents and that camping was off limits for everyone this weekend. Seems that former president George Dubya Bush is having a little vacation over there and that’s that.

I am camped at the private campground just across the gulley and can see the security vehicles scurrying around as me and my new friend and camping neighbour, Scott are drinking beer and thinking about getting all liquored up and going over to say hi later. Scott pointed out that we would likely be shot and I suppose he has a point.