Friday, May 4, 2012



Greeted the day to realize that the breakfast larder was nearly empty. Luckily there was still some coffee left, but I fueled up with a tortilla, cheese, and tomato sprinkled with“Smack Yo Momma” hot pepper spice.

The Bruiser had another oil transfusion, this time with a new filter. (Otherwise it’s kind of like having a bath and putting on old underwear. But I digress). The point is we have covered two oil changes worth of mileage so far. I'm starting to look at the rear tire that was brand new when we left  and it is showing considerable wear.

We wound our way along hwy 160 to the town of Kayenta where I picked up some groceries (I’d really prefer to have oatmeal for breakfast) and of course I posted my daily blog and read my emails which I appreciate so much.

Even in the modern era, Navajos still like to ambush people. Every time I climbed off the bike someone wanted a handout or wanted me to buy something. Natives have control over much of the land in this region and they like to set up a fee station whenever there is something we might like to see.

Four Corners is a case in point. It is nothing more than a surveyed point on the ground common to Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. Five bucks to see it. I’m sorry. They don’t know who they are dealing with. I’m a pensioner and I’ve got attitude.

Big deal.

Kayenta is the starting point to the marvelous Monument Valley, a collection of  red mesas and rock spires that is an iconic symbol of the Southwest and a place I have been hankering to visit for a long time. Geologically, they are erosional remnants. The earth doesn’t actually make these pillars of rock, it whittles everything else away and these are what are left. Rather like the last piece of cake on your plate.

The main road, hwy 191, goes reasonably close to these things, but with the perpetual haze in the air they always look small and vague. To get closer... well, let’s just say the Navajos run tours to bring you up close and personal, or else you could drive into a little village which is situated right in the thick of it, but it is a fee area.  (For my view on that sort of thing, see above). But I spotted a dirt road that headed directly up to a collection of rock spires and I thought I would get clever and check it out. After about 100 metres of dirt the surface abruptly turned to deep sand and after a bit of a Watusi we nearly dumped. I’m not actually sure how we managed to keep upright but very grateful we didn't.
Mexican Hat.
 
The Bruiser arrives in Monument Valley
Church Rock is the exposed throat of an ancient volcano that has otherwise weathered completely away. The magma that filled that vent is more resistant to erosion than the rock it intruded.

In any case, I filled my eyes with geology and magnificent landscapes and took a few hundred pictures to show you all later. At the town of Mexican Hat I turned west on Hwy 261. After a few miles along a flat plain I could see the road was heading straight into the wall of a 1200 foot cliff.  Where is that going, I sez to myself.
We're going up that? How?

Unbelievably, the road went straight up the face of the bloody thing! Pavement ends and the road narrows and threads its way up a 10% grade with nearly 180 degree switchbacks. As some of you may know I have developed what I will call a deep respect for heights. Hugging the rock face as tightly as I could so that I was unable to look down—WAY down—we crawled our way up in first gear. This was possibly the most hair raising, sphincter tightening  drive I have ever done. I didn’t know they could make roads like that!
Here is a side view of a neighbouring plateau that resembles the one we climbed.
Looking down when pausing to breathe again. Note the switchback road below us

The road flattened out at the top of the plateau and resumed to highway speed limit. After a short while I encountered a cowboy on horseback driving a herd of cattle down the middle of the road, apparently in the direction of that hairpin descent to hell!  I considered waiting around to see how it went, but the truth is I would have been unable to watch anyway so I set a course instead for Natural Arches National Monument.

We arrived late in the afternoon and had time enough to drive the looping road to the various overlooks. Unfortunately the only campground was small and full. Rocky and The Bruiser have the capacity to be resourceful in such situations. I remembered an access road to a hiking area just a few miles back, so we backtracked to it. Being mindful of the sign that warns that the red clay road is impassible when wet, and casting a prayerful eye to the rain gods overhead, in we went and in short order found a great little spot to set up for the night. The late day sun lights up these brick red hills that surround me and the temperature drops immediately as it dips over the hills. Almost 8000 feet here. 

Well, I must go dress for bed now!